History of Moormead Park
Moormead and Bandy Recreation Ground has the atmosphere of a village green and since 1979 has been the site of the annual St Margarets Fair. The land north of the railway line at Bandy Close was vested in the Parochial Schools whose trustees were agreeable to selling the land for the purposes of a public recreation ground for £450. Moor Mead was partly freehold and partly copyland land; before creating the recreation ground the stream (the river Crane) needed to be diverted to the west side and a right of way created. In February 1893 the editorial in the local paper advocated a recreation ground here as being financially desirable (it would increase the rateable value of land here), physically desirable by providing a 'place for healthy exercise and promotion of clean lives' and morally desirable 'by supplying the means of innocent recreation to counteract evil influences which are always too plentiful, and by inducing that healthfulness of body which has so much to do with a healthy moral condition'. By 1898 the pleasure ground at Bandy Close and Moor Mead is listed in Twickenham Urban District Council's Bylaws governing pleasure grounds.
The park is part of River Crane Walk, the Crane running along the western boundary of the park. The park has a C20th pavilion and sports fields; in 1985 Crossbats Cricket Club took a three year lease on use of the park, rent-free in recognition of their proposal to improve the wicket there. Moormead Bridge over the river Crane is in the north west of the park and dates from 1902, with a new plaque erected by the Cole Park Residents Association to celebrate Twickenham Week in May 1981.
— from London Gardens Online